Self-catering rental accommodation
with disabled facilities
near Melrose, Scotland
sleeping between 2 and 6
Eildon Holiday Cottages
South of Edinburgh
in the Scottish Borders
On the slopes of the beautiful Eildon Hills just outside Melrose in Southern Scotland is a lovely range of traditional farm buildings converted into six modern, comfortable family vacation accommodation rentals.
Five of these award-winning cottages have unassisted wheelchair access and are ideal for the disabled and their families.
The award winning Eildon Holiday Cottages are formed from the conversion of 18th century of stone farm buildings originally part of the Duke of Buccleuch's estate. The property lies on the northern side of the famous Border landmark, the Eildon Hills, with magnificent views over the Tweed valley to the Lammermuir and Moorfoot Hills. Although quite privately situated at the end of a private road, no through traffic, the cottages are only half a mile from Melrose, with its excellent shops and restaurants, and world famous Abbey.
There is a steep footpath down to Melrose from the cottages.
From Melrose buses run to Edinburgh and Newcastle, as well as to all local Border towns and to the rail stations of Berwick and Carlisle. Edinburgh is just one hour's drive away. However, a car is essential to see the superb countryside.
Excellent sporting facilities of all kinds abound in the Borders, hill walking and golf, literally from the door of the cottages, and trout and salmon fishing available locally. Melrose's 9 hole course is at the bottom of Eildon Holiday Cottages private road.
The complex consists of five cottages with very specialised facilities for disabled visitors and one flat at first floor level approached by a small staircase from its own front door.
All the cottages are graded "4 Stars" by the Scottish Tourist Board and won the award for the best disabled facility in Scotland in 1991. In the same year Eildon won the award for the best self-catering holidays for the disabled in Britain, and has also won two architectural awards for the design and landscaping of the cottage complex.
- All cottages have night storage heaters in living rooms
- Electric panel radiators in each room
- Cooking by electricity
- Colour TV/video in each cottage
- Payphones in three cottages, Hamiltons, Howlands and Single Tree
- Washer-dryers in three cottages, Hamiltons, Howlands and Single Tree
- Separate laundry room with washer, dryer and payphone
- Shaver points and heated towel rails in all bath/shower rooms
- Electricity is charged by meter reading on arrival and departure
- Small charge made for night storage heating from October to May.
- All linen and towels provided and beds made up with duvets and two pillows each
- Free use of cot and highchair
- Dogs welcomed by arrangement with small charge of £10 per week
- Groceries purchased if required.
- Tea tray with home-made cake to await your arrival
- Garden chairs provided
- Car parking beside each cottage
- All five cottages are graded category 1 by the Scottish Tourist Board as being suitable for unassisted wheelchair users.
- All have at least one bedroom on the ground floor level, in many cases all bedrooms, with either a bathroom or wheel-in shower room.
- Grab rails in bath and shower rooms and let down rails beside WC. Ampleside-loading to WC
- All door ways at least 780mm wide, most over 800mm.
- Low level switches
- Low windows
- There is one high level arm chair in each cottage - 22 inches from ground
- Level throughout, no ramps or steps
- Accessible kitchens with some low level worktops
- Accessible sinks and hobs, no low level cupboards
- All accessible bedrooms have minimum wheelchair turning space
- Overhead electric hoists available in Single Tree Cottage and Langrig; in Single Tree Cottage from bedroom to bath room, in Langrig from bedroom to wheel-in shower.
- Most downstairs beds have bedraisers
Equipment available on request:
- Propad mattress
- Folding wheelchair
- Raised WC seat
- Trapeze (monkey) pull available for Single Tree, Langrig or the Croft
- Waterproof pillow covers
- Wheel-in shower chair
- Wheeled zimmer
- Blanket rests
- RADAR key to public disabled WC
- Beds can be made up with sheets and blankets if required.
- Clinical waste collection available
- A portable hoist is available with remote control at a cost of £40 per week; this has its own sling, or please bring your own. This can be used in any cottage except the Granary, but does not go under the bath in Howlands or Single Tree Cottage.
To enquire or to book:
Please tell Jill you found Eildon Holiday Cottages through About Scotland!
Eildon Holiday Cottages
Melrose, TD6 9HS
Tel/Fax: 01896 823258
or from outside the UK:
Tel/Fax: 44 1896 823258